Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Shebekia

This summer brought back the scorching heat, week-long wedding parties, and constant stream of visiters and toursists. I was also able to enjoy myself at weekend trip away with other volunteers at the new, small waterpark for tourists near Marrakech; a day in a bikini was fanominal. It was a good, fun season, although I would be lieing if I didn’t admit that I am tired and ready for Ramadan. Ramadan is a clam and pious time when families spend a lot of quality time together, fasting all day and then breaking fast at sundown with soup, dates and shebekia (a wonderful honey-covered pastry). It is one of my favorite times in Morocco! Even though my current laundry station project construction and health education that I have been working on will be suspended for the holiday, I am doing well and enjoying my work in my peaceful, desert community. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

Barakallah u fik
Blessings of God be Upon You

Whitney Jon

No comments: